Friday 15 October 2010

Episode 14: In which I get into the swing of things

So I've been here a month-and-a-half and I've been at work for four weeks now and I think I'm finally into the swing of things. My days are slowly developing a routine: work, gym (some days), food, sleep, work. This is how non-students live and it's surprising how quickly the days go before it's the weekend all over again. Sadly, the past two weekends I've had the plans have fallen through last minute which has meant I didn't really have anything to do, but last week a BBQ popped up to keep me entertained and tonight a student houseparty has been muted, which is always something! I'd envisaged doing a lot more travelling, but what with not really having anyone with whom to just go somewhere for the day (like back in Austria, where I was surrounded by fellow TAs) and being rather skint, I've not really been anywhere apart from Antwerp. Still, once I start getting paid regularly come december I should be able to start daytripping around Holland. Speaking of other TAs, I was rather under the impression that the only others here in NL amounted to one person, whom I knew from Uni. But, I received a letter from the Department for Internationalisation of Education or something like that and it turns out there is an introduction day, with a guided tour of Haaaaaarlem and high tea! I am envisaging it actually being just a meeting for me and Nic, the other TA, still it's a chance to venture out of Breda! Seems a bit silly having an 'Introductory' meeting 3 months after starting work, mind...

This week, I got invited out for a drink with a few people from work. A drink turned into many drinks, pizza and then more drinks and I really enjoyed it. It was nice to see people from work outside of the work environment and it was also a good way to find out where was good to go bar-wise. I also am apparently eligible for membership of an exclusive club at school called the 'Twintigers' (the Twentyers), all the teachers under 20 go out for a meal and then head out into town together. The guy who started it up turned 30 this year so has been expelled from his own organisation! Nice

Tonight, there are some Belgians coming to stay so I am cooking up a curry of epic proportions, I should really go stir it...

No comments:

Post a Comment